Potemkin - Russian Restaurant & Bar: "Russian Restaurant & Bar, East London" Top 5 Page for this destination Ngon Ngon Tip by sue_stone

Ngon Ngon, London: 1 reviews and 5 photos

• Quail - London
      Pork Sashlyk
  • desserts - London
  • Potemkin - London
      Potemkin - in the restaurant
    by sue_stone

Potemkin is a Russian restaurant & bar located in inner-east London. It claims it is home to a "new definition of what Russian cuisine truly is". There is a small bar at street level, and a smallish restaurant downstairs - the stairs are quite narrow and steep, so not the best place if you are stair-challenged!

As with any Russian restaurant, there was a huge range of vodka's on offer. Unfortunately the one that I wanted to try was not available, though the one I ended up sampling was nice and potent.

The restaurant is colourfully decorated and has comfortable high-backed chairs and a relaxed feel. Service wasn't to good, though they were friendly enough.

We had a drink in the bar first while waiting for our friends to arrive, then went downstairs together to the restaurant. It got a bit noisy due to a large group drinking lots of vodka, but at least it is a non-smoking venue.

Favorite Dish: To start we all shared some Buzhenina (spiced roast pork, served sliced with purple horseradish). For main course Alex & I both had the Quail, Jane had the Pork Sashlyk, and Geoff had the Perets Farshirovany (baked pepper) and also helped me eat some of the Quail. The food was quite good, but too garlicky for me.

For dessert, Alex & I shared the Blinchik Tvorogom (pancake filled with sweet curd cheese), Geoff had the Blinchik Vishnya (pancake filled with cherries) and Jane had the Chocolate Truffle. We also sampled a couple of flavoured vodka's with our desserts.

Budem zdorovy!

Address: 144 Clerkenwell Road, London EC1R 5DP
Price Comparison: more expensive than average
Directions: Nearest tube: Farringdon or Chancery Lane
othercontact: info@potemkin.co.uk
Phone: 020 7278 6661
Price: US$41 and up
Rating: 3
Theme: Eclectic/International
Website: http://www.ngonngon.co.uk/

• Updated Apr 4, 2011

sue_stone Used To Live Here!

Have you been to London?