"Side Trip to Salinas and San Joaquin Valleys" Top 5 Page for this destination Monterey Things to Do Tip by Ewingjr98
Monterey Things to Do: 353 reviews and 893 photos
About 50 miles from Monterey you will find the lush, green farmland of the San Joaquin Valley. This fertile region stretches from Sacramento to a few miles south of Bakersfield, and is a major region for the production of vegetables, cotton, grapes & wine, and oil. The area relies heavily on water from the regions rivers and was a desert prior to establishing modern irrigation practices. This valley dominates the center of the state, stretching some 250-300 miles in length.
Even closer is the farm country of the Salinas Valley. Much smaller than the San Joaquin, but very important to the local economy. Salinas Valley is famous for its artichokes, lettuce, strawberries, tomatoes, and has a growing grape and wine industry. The main towns in the Salinas Valley include Salinas (of course) as well as Castroville, Hollister, King City, and Soledad.
More Things to Do in Monterey (23)
More Reviews (221)
- See All Visitors Center & Old French...
- See All Siamese Bay Thai (Webster Street) - Old...
- See All East Village Cafe (Washington St) - Old...
- See All Cherry's Jubilee
- See All Haunted Monterey
- See All Old Monterey Railroad Station
- See All Used books and records in New Monterey
- See All Dirt Track Racing at Watsonville's Ocean...
- See All InterContinental The Clement - Cannery...
- See All Storms and big waves
- See All The Monterey Bay Aquarium on Summer...
- Monterey Weather
Ewingjr98's Related Pages
Have you been to Monterey?Share Your Travels