"THE NEW YORK AQUARIUM" Brooklyn Tip by moiraistyx

Brooklyn, New York City: 28 reviews and 51 photos

SEA URCHINS, SEA ANEMONES AND FISH
by moiraistyx

I had high hopes for what I believe is the only aquarium in New York, but I was definately disappointed with this aquarium. The aquarium opens daily at 10:00 AM, however closing time varies between 4:30 and 7:00 depending on the season and day of the week. Admission is $12.00 for an adult and $8.00 for children 2-13 and seniors. The New York Aquarium is part of the Wildlife Conservation Society's (SCS) membership, so admission is free if you are a member. Parking is $10.00 for everybody.

I was impressed with the jellyfish exhibits in the ALIEN STINGERS display. I was very disappointed with the shark display, basically it was a stingray and a handful of nurse sharks with a giant turtle thrown in. We were lucky that the Walruses, Sea Lions, Sea Otters and Fur Seals were all being very playful when we were there. I tried to take pictures, however the lighting and the display quality wasn't very condusive to doing so. They have a couple of Touch Pools, however only one was open on the day we went. Basically it had two horse shoe crabs and three sea stars for the children to check out. The aquarium has Sea Lion shows three times a day 11:45, 1:45 and 4:00. Supposedly there are penguins here, but we didn't see a single one. There are two gift shops at either end of the facility and a snack bar.

One great thing about the aquarium is that it is located smack in the middle of Brooklyn's Coney Island, so when you are done here, hop on over to Astroland and ride the world famous Cyclon.

One more note, go to the bathroom before you get here, the bathroom were absolutely disgusting and most of the toilets weren't flushing the day we went. YUCK, YUCK YUCK.

Address: Corner of Surf Ave and 8th.
Directions: BY SUBWAY
Take the F or Q train to the West 8th Street station in Coney Island, Brooklyn.

ALL OTHERS SEE WEBSITE

Phone: (718) 265-FISH
Website: http://nyaquarium.com

• Written Sep 3, 2006

Comments

moiraistyx Visits Here Frequently!

moiraistyx

“Engaged to member haunted1030 on 1/1/11”

Have you been to New York City?