"Corrupt people at the Juanda Airport" Top 5 Page for this destination Surabaya Warnings Or Dangers Tip by cokes

Surabaya Warnings and Dangers: 5 reviews and 3 photos

This is relatively a small airport but trust me when I say alot of corrupt officials. I went to check in my luggage at the checkin counter and because my luggage was over weight the guy who took my bag quickly rested his arms over the bag making the bag heavier and so that the lady behind the counter don`t take the reading. This one guy came with a story to help me quickly with this problem and I refused so I paid the fine. Anyway waiting for my slip they took my buddies bag and put it halfway on the scale so it reads less weight and charged him IDR 100 000 as he was about 10kgs over and he would have a paid a very nice fine.

To put the cherry on the cake I over stayed my visa so I had to pay a fine. Lucky for me I went to the Immigration office to find out what the fine will be like and the guy there told me its 20US$ per day. Anyway I explaned to the guy at customs the situation and he had a long story pointing to the board on the wall which was in Bahasa Indonesia pointing at the 3000US$ section saying this is what I`m going to have to pay. I told him not to get clever as I know the rate as I was by the immigration office. Anyway he became all rude and angry and just took my money and sent me off. So please beware of these corrupt officials and if you think you might have over stayed your visa be sure to find a immigration office or call your embassy to try and rectify the problem.

Review Helpfulness: 4 out of 5 stars

• Updated Sep 2, 2006

Comments

cokes

“Go out there without expectations , just go and see for yourself”

Have you been to Surabaya?