Florence pub.: "Very good Thai food." The Florence Tip by planxty

The Florence, London: 1 reviews and 2 photos

Florence pub, Islington, London, England.
by planxty
      Florence pub, Islington, London, England.
    by planxty
      The late Florence pub, London, UK.

Update, October 2015.

Readers of my other pages on VT will know that I like to keep them up to date as best I can and this update forms one such piece. I was recently wandering around the Islington area of central London and thought I would revisit this place after some years. Well, no chance although I should have guessed it. Obviously the Florence could not compete with the absolutely appalling bistros / wine bars along the nearby "main drag". Finding a proper pub in Islington now is akin to finding the proverbial needle in the haystack but add in a hurricane and you will get the idea.

The Florence is now some sort of overpriced junk-shop / "art gallery" or whatever. No doubt the trendy denizens of this place will pay well over the odds for worthless rubbish purely because it is sold there and they can show it off to their friends who are equally impressed.

I shall leave my original tip here as a memory for myself as to when Islington still retained some slight vestige of what it was. I would not want anyone to make a trip here on the basis of my information from nine years ago.

Th image tells you all you need to know.

Original 1996 tip.

OK, let's get it out of the way, the Florence doesn't serve the best Thai food in London (see my Lemon Tree pub tip for that), but it has to be coming somewhere very close.

Another of the many London pubs that has franchised the kitchen to Thai people, this place really does it rather well.

The pub itself is very relaxed with a wide variety of customers (Islington is now very upmarket and the former home or the Prime mnister), and whilst I'm a bit less upmarket than most, I've always been made to feel very welcome here. there's a very relaxed atmosphere about the place with a large screen TV and various comfortable chairs. It's one of those places it is very hard to get out of.

The Thai food is served frome 12 - 3 at luchtime and again from 6 - 9 in the evening. They also do pizzas and there is a Sunday roast dinner on offer if you don't fancy cooking one yourself.

A little off the beaten track in Islington but well worth seeking out.

Favorite Dish: The spicy pork with rice. If you ask one of the very friendly waitresses to make it very spicy, they will certainly oblige you, believe me!

Address: 50 Florence St, London N1 1TA.
Price Comparison: about average
Directions: Walk along Upper Street from Angel until you see the petrol garage on your right. Turn right and the place is about 50 yards along on the right.
Phone: 00 44 (0)207 354 5633
Price: US$11-20
Rating: 4
Theme: Pan-Asian and Pacific Rim
Website: http://www.beerintheevening.com/pubs/s/52/5223/Florence_Tavern/Islington

• Updated Oct 21, 2015

• Basaic's Profile Photo
    Oct 21, 2015 at 12:20 PM

I love all things Thai. Food, women. . .

Oct 21, 2015 at 1:18 PM

As do I, such a shame this place closed, not so much for the Thai food which was excellent although is widely available in London but moreso for the fact it is yet another pub gone that will never come back. Our heritage is diminished on a daily basis.

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    Oct 21, 2015 at 8:41 AM

On a happier note, Islington claims to have been the first 20mph borough in London, though several others are now following suit.

Oct 21, 2015 at 9:48 AM

Interesting idea but I suspect not true. Whilst many of the side streets have the "twenty's plenty" signs up, I am sure the main roads are still 30 but I stand to be corrected on this. Obviously, London traffic dictates that any London traffic rarely moves above about 12 mph anyway.

• DAO's Profile Photo
    Jan 24, 2013 at 12:51 PM

Excellent restaurant tips! I always wondered about the Cliffton off Brick Lane. I have stayed at the City Hotel 2 doors over about 6-7 times.

Jan 24, 2013 at 1:56 PM

The Clifton was always a favourite of mine. Used to be up a side street and has moved to Whitechapel Road now. I took a load of VTers there a few years back. Good place and an open kitchen which is always good.

planxty Lives Here!

“I have declared myself an unsafe building!”

Have you been to London?