Footlights Bar.: "Good food and not expensive." Footlights Bar Tip by planxty

Footlights Bar, Edinburgh: 1 reviews and 1 photos

Footlights Bar, Edinburgh, Scotland.
by planxty

This is not a restaurant as such, but rather a pub that sells very good food. It's a big pub, with a strong emphasis on football and music (MTV, plasma screens etc.) but if that's not your thing there are tables outside where it is pleasant to sit in the summer. We visited once and were so impressed we went back again another day.

The food is very much of the "pub food" genre - burgers, steaks, fish and chips etc. but it is very well done. I must make special menu of the soups which are homemade and change daily. We had bacon and lentil and also a delicious butternut squash and ginger.

Given that it is in the centre of Edinburgh, prices are very reasonable. they have a deal where you can get two main meals for 8:95 or a three course steak dinner for 9:95. The then Mrs._planxty said the steak was very good, and also asked for an honourable mention here for the sticky toffee pudding.

A quick word of praise also for the young staff who were extremely friendly and courteous.

Favorite Dish: Haggis, neeps and tatties - what else in Scotland?

Address: 7 Spital St, old Town, Edinburgh, EH3.
Price Comparison: less expensive than average
Directions: Walk along Lothian road away from Princes Street, turn left into Bread Street and second left into Spittal Street. The pub is just on your right.
Phone: 00 44 (0)131 2296466
Price: US$11-20
Rating: 4
Theme: Local

• Updated Feb 6, 2015

• greekcypriot's Profile Photo
    Feb 7, 2015 at 3:01 AM

I hope I get back to Edinburgh one day again. I remember I could not understand the pronanciation of the taxi driver who was taking us to the airport then. His accent was so different!

Feb 7, 2015 at 4:33 AM

The accent can indeed be a bit of a handful if you are not used to it although I always found Glasgow accents more difficult to understand for some reason.

• greekcypriot's Profile Photo
      Feb 7, 2015 at 5:35 AM

Really? It could possibly be that the taxi driver might have been from Glasgow then. lol I remember asking him 4 times and then I quit.

• arturowan's Profile Photo
    Feb 7, 2015 at 1:43 AM

I think the buzzword for such places is 'gastro-pub' - nicely informative review Fergie!

Feb 7, 2015 at 4:31 AM

Thanks Roy,

it wasn't overly "gastro" but then I wrote that tip a long time ago and probably had not even heard the expression!

• davidjo's Profile Photo
    Jun 20, 2013 at 3:02 AM

sounds great, hope i will be back in Edinburgh again to sample the fayre

Jun 20, 2013 at 5:40 AM

Thank you so much. I am used to staying in no smoking places now but I would not want to impose on your good lady and you. I'd certainly love to meet up with you obviously.

• davidjo's Profile Photo
      Jun 20, 2013 at 5:50 AM

no problem

“I have declared myself an unsafe building!”

Have you been to Edinburgh?