El Bernardino: "Overpriced for the service and the quality" Segovia Restaurant Tip by rcvogensen

Segovia Restaurants: 66 reviews and 68 photos

El Bernardino is located on the left hand side of the main street leading to the Plaza Mayor, Calle Cervantes, which becomes Calle Juan Bravo. There is a famous viewpoint next to the restaurant. The outside appearance is impressive but don't let appearances fool you. The restaurant specializes, like most of the Segovian restaurants, in roast suckling pig and grilled lamb. Although the price is slightly lower than more famous spots like El Duque, just a few doors down the street, or Cándido, near the Aqueduct, the quality and service are debatable.

We started out badly when the waiters ignored us, not even looking in our direction. Eventually a nice young man stopped and asked if we had ordered, excusing himself for thinking that we had already ordered, even though we had the menus in our hand. My wife ordered the more expensive menu for 24 euros, called a menu de degustación, or connoisseur's menu. It consisted of white beans (favas) as a first course and suckling pig as the second course. I ordered gazpacho and trout for 15 euros. The favas were passable but the suckling pig was a smallish slab of fat thrown on the plate with no attempt to make it look halfway attractive, no red pepper or slice of lettuce, or a few fried potatoes. Nothing. My gazpacho came in tiny cup and the waiter promised to bring the accompanyment--the chopped tomatoes, green onions and yellow onions. I had almost finished when they arrived, once again the waiter thinking that they had already brought them to me. The trout was edible, certainly nothing special. Then came dessert. For the gourmet menu my wife got a scoop of vanilla icecream and a rather standard cakelike preparation. Mine, for the price of the menu, was better quality, as I at least got flan.

Favorite Dish: I enjoyed the water.

Address: Calle Cervantes 2
Price Comparison: about average
Directions: on the main shopping street leading from the Aqueduct to the Plaza Mayor
Phone: 921 46 24 77
Price: US$21-30
Rating: 1
Theme: Local

• Updated Apr 4, 2011

Ranked Member

Have you been to Segovia?