Fountain Cafe: "Dinner at the Fountain (Sydney)" Australia Restaurant Tip by filipdebont

Australia Restaurants: 172 reviews and 196 photos

T-Bone - New York Style
      T-Bone - New York Style
      Hahn Light Beer
    by filipdebont

At the end of my first day of sightseeing in Sydney, I decided to have dinner in the neighbourhood of my hotel. So I walked along Macleay Street, and I noticed a big terrace at a small square with a fountain.

The fountain was the (famous ?) El Alamein Fountain. (In order to remember the battle at El Alamein in Egypt during the Second World War).

The big terrace was heated with big gas burners, which was not superfluous, as it was raining very hard and it was pretty chilly.

I order a T-bone steak - New York style with baked vegetables and potato pancakes. The meal was delicious.

As it was my first time visiting Australia, I wanted to try some local beers. So I did choose the Hahn beer. I do not know why (maybe it was happy hour), but the waitress brought two bottles, I had ordered only one, and paid also one.
But that was not a gift as the beer really tasted very bad, I believe this was the worst beer I did drink during my Australia roundtrip (I must also add that it was a Light beer maybe that was one reason)

I also thought wow, if this is the taste of Australian beers, well I will be drinking lots of Coca-Cola for the next weeks, but no no, luckily, I did discover some tasteful beers during my trip.

The service was quick and friendly.

Favorite Dish: T-Bone steak - New york style with baked vegetables and potato pancakes (Price : 19.80 AUS dollars)
(10 AUS dollars = +/- 6 euros or +/- 7.5 US dolars)

Address: 18 Darlighurst Road
Price Comparison: about average
Directions: near El Alamein Fountain
Phone: 02 9358 6009
Price: US$11-20
Rating: 3
Theme: Diner

• Updated Oct 3, 2006

“Preparing my next trip : South-East of the States”

Have you been to Australia?