"Münster" Top 5 Page for this destination Germany Things to Do Tip by MichaelFalk1969
Germany Things to Do: 1,233 reviews and 1,985 photos
Münster is a charming, "medium-sized" historic city in West Germany. The historic significance of Münster lies mainly in the fact that the peace treaty that ended the 30years War in Germany (1618-48) was signed in the Old Town Hall in Münster (open to the public and worth the visit).
- The Old Town has been reconstructed after many buildings were lost in WW2. Around the "Prinzipalmarkt", you will find beautiful renaissance merchant houses.
- The St. Pauls cathedral is impressive and houses a giant astronomical clock.
- The Lamberti church in the Old Town has three iron cages dangling from its bell tower - three leaders of a popular religious movement against the archbishop of Münster were displayed in those cages after the uprising was defeated.
- The baroque St. Clemens church
- Münster has a university, housed mainly in the baroque palace of the local archbishop. A botanical garden is attached to the university grounds.
- the zoo (Allwetterzoo) is an option if you have time left (not spectacular though)
- the open air museum "Mühlenhof" in the vicinity (near the Aasee-Lake) has old farmsteads and a windmill on display - interesting!
More Things to Do in Germany (127)
More Reviews (82)
MichaelFalk1969's Related Pages
Have you been to Germany?Share Your Travels