"Bayreuth" Top 5 Page for this destination Germany Things to Do Tip by MichaelFalk1969
Germany Things to Do: 1,233 reviews and 1,985 photos
I love Bayreuth - I studied there. The story I like best about Bayreuth is how the archduchess Wilhelmine, favourite sister of Frederick the Great, King of Prussia, came to the place in the 18th century, found it incredibly boring and decided to build some sights like the Hermitage to make it more attractive. She was very successful indeed!
What do when in Bayreuth:
- a guided tour through the margraves opera house (Markgräfliches Opernhaus)
- a self-guided tour through the margraves palace and the Hofgarten (the palace gardens)
- appreciate some of the impressive baroque and 19th-century houses in the inner city
- a visit to the "Festspielhaus" (dedicated to the composer Richard Wagner)
- see the Richard Wagner museum (in the Hofgarten)
- see the "Eremitage" palace and gardens (just a 10 minutes-drive outside the city)
- see Schloss Fantaisie (near Bayreuth)
Of all sights, the Eremitage (hermitage) is the best and should not be missed.
More Things to Do in Germany (127)
More Reviews (82)
MichaelFalk1969's Related Pages
Have you been to Germany?Share Your Travels