"My Fair Fairmont" The Fairmont Washington DC Tip by gilabrand

The Fairmont Washington DC, Washington D.C.: 2,508 reviews and 2 photos

The Fairmont is a 4-star hotel that seems to be midway between Georgetown and Washington D.C. I never managed to figure out where one ends and the other begins. After staying there for 2 nights at the end of June, my first piece of advice is to postpone any visits to Washington until after the summer. The heat and humidity were beyond horrible. Of course, if you hang around in the hotel all day, that won?t be a problem. The air-conditioning is on full blast in the lobby and chances are, you?ll even need a long-sleeve to keep from turning into an icicle. But if you?re in Washington D.C., I doubt you?ll spend much time inside any hotel, even one with a lobby and garden café as pretty as the Fairmont?s.

The Fairmont is on a fairly quiet street facing another hotel, so I can?t say there were any views. On the other hand, it was walking distance (well, maybe more like a little hike) to the Lincoln Memorial, the Vietnam Veterans Memorial, the World War II memorial, the White House and the National Mall, where all the free museums are. We didn?t have time, but a walking tour of Georgetown itself is also considered worthwhile. The closest Metro station is either Foggy Bottom or Dupont Circle, both of them several blocks away.

Unique Qualities: Our room was pure luxury - like the kind you see in hotel advertisements but never get. It was huge, with a king-size bed, high quality linens and pillows, fine wood furnishings, a small mini-bar/fridge and a luxurious bathroom. Stored in the closet were an umbrella, an ironing board and an iron, and hanging in the bathroom were two terry robes. There was a coffeemaker on a little side table, with complimentary tea and coffee (although it took my husband a couple of tries and quite a bit of mess to make himself a cup), and for those in a romantic mood, an ice bucket and champagne glasses. Personally, I thought the soaps and shampoos smelled more like pesticide than perfume, but that is a minor quibble?

If I had any real complaint, it was the fact that the price of the room did not include breakfast. The summer rate was $159 a night, which was really quite reasonable, compared to other hotels in the area. In the closet, by the way, I noticed a list of rates claiming our room cost $625 a night!

Valet parking will set you back $28 a day, and from what I heard, the prices for breakfast in the outdoor café are outrageous. Being the frugal sort, we stocked up at a supermarket before checking in.

Address: 2401 M STREET NW, Washington, DC 20037
Price Comparison: about average
Phone: (202) 429-2400
Price: US$120-180
Theme: Hotel
Website: http://www.fairmont.com

• Updated Sep 16, 2006

“You were born an original; don't die a copy.”

Have you been to Washington D.C.?