"Ushuaia" Argentina Things to Do Tip by lukec

Argentina Things to Do: 447 reviews and 726 photos

Ushuaia is the southernmost town in the world. Only the narrow Beagle Channel, a small chunk of Chilean Tierra del Fuego and a few hundred miles of treacherous, dark ocean separates it from Antarctic Peninsula. It's one of those places where you realise how far your journey has taken you. The beautiful surroundings with jagged, dark mountains, lakes, ancient forests and harsh weather added to this feeling of personal achievment and made Ushuaia and Tierra del Fuego a truly unique experience for both of us. When we started planning our South American journey I never thought we'd make it to Ushuaia. It seemed so far south and out of the way. So I have to give some credit for reaching this milestone to my friend Mark for getting me interested in Ushuaia during our VT chats and to Irena for being persistent in wanting to get us there. In the end everything worked out almost perfectly, because we got really cheap plane tickets from Buenos Aires to Ushuaia (US$ 83 per person one way). I said almost perfectly, because I got terribly sick on that plane as we flew into some heavy turbulence just before we landed in Ushuaia. But apart from that we spent 3 really enjoyable days there, with the weather being on our side most of the time.

• Written Aug 24, 2002

“Hasta la victoria siempre!”

Ranked Member

Have you been to Argentina?