"My first ever koniginnedag in Amsterdam" King's Day - Koningsdag Tip by laughing_lioness

King's Day - Koningsdag, Amsterdam: 19 reviews and 33 photos

First of all I have to admit that I was slightly sceptic about this day everyone told me is the biggest party of the year in Holland.

My cousin talked me into visiting Holland on time for the koniginnedag. Still I wasn?t sure if I was going to enjoy a day in the middle of thousands of people in a city I had never been to and where soft drugs are being sold legally ? (being German the thought of drugs being legal is very strange).

Arriving at Amsterdam main station for the first time ever with thousands of people we immediately got into a party mood. All those people were walking in one direction and we just had to go with the flow. It doesn't really matter where you go anyway. Amsterdam basically is a huge party and people are singing, partying and mainly drinking.

We started off with a beer but soon realized that beer wasn?t the drink to be for us - the need for a loo is just too frequent taking into consideration that going to the loo means long queues (and I really mean long queues) everywhere. For girls it?s not as easy as for boys (no news I guess). The funniest thing are the toilets in the middle of the streets when there are no trees around (or trees that you don?t want to be used as toilets). Useful really!

Found a tiny pub (don't ask where ...) that had fun music and fun people. Started to drink Jaegermeister and stuck with it for the rest of the day. Oh boy! The guys at the bar didn?t need our order we just made signs and got another round of Jaegermeister. We do not recall how many Jaegermeister we had but that was the only drink we had all afternoon and night. I don?t even remember us eating anything at all.

Ended the night in a pub at Zandvoort. The only one I can think of that didn?t sell Jaegermeister. Got chatted up and invited for a whiskey coke though ? not that bad for a change ?

Do I need to tell you more? We did have blast ? THANK YOU DUTCH PEOPLE FOR A LOVELY KONIGINNEDAG 2006!

(I'll attach some pictures later on)

Address: anywhere in Amsterdam
Directions: go with the flow

• Written Aug 29, 2006

More Things to Do in Amsterdam (1)

“... it's my life - it's now or never ...”

Have you been to Amsterdam?