l'Ecrivain: "Famous - but should it be Infamous?" L'Ecrivain Tip by SabrinaSummerville

L'Ecrivain, Dublin: 1 reviews and 2 photos

by SabrinaSummerville
  • Famous - but should it be Infamous? - Dublin
      Inside l'Ecrivain
    by SabrinaSummerville

Celebrity Chef Derry Clarke's famed restaurant was a disappointment.

The "let down" began as we entered the restaurant. The Maitre d' watched as we approached. My Mother was on crutches and he looked at us as we pushed open the door. He was standing beside it and good manners would dictate that he should have at least opened it, moreso when one of the guests was disabled.

He lead us upstairs and seated us beside the toilet. I intensely dislike restaurants that seat unknown guests beside the restrooms. I didn't have the energy to waste on an argument by asking for another table.

The decor is dull - dull brown carpet, dull light wood three quarter panelled walls, with that dull mushroom shade painted above. Only one piece of art adorned the whole room - a tapestry by Knuttel which did nothing to brighten the place.

The menu looked interesting and I had difficulty deciding what to eat. I didn't allow the astronomical prices to deter me, as I was prepared to pay ?30 for a starter and ?50 for a main course in a restaurant with a name of this celebrated calibre.

The food is artistically presented, but the portions are very small. I found the food rather tasteless. My starter was of prawn done four ways, but to me all four tasted the same. My main course was panfried hake with a crab cannelloni. The fish was an inch wide and of the same thickness, and about three inches long. I looked for the crab cannelloni and couldn't find it - then accidentally discovered it as crabmeat wrapped in a sliver of carrot.

I am well used to nouvelle cuisine, having sampled it throughout the world. This restaurant tries it and fails. My Mother's comment on her rabbit starter and lamb main course was no better. I tasted both and they didn't impress.

The staff were the best part of this establishment as, other than the dull maitre d', they were superb. However, they were not enough to bring me back to this place.

I paid ?215.00 for two starters, two main courses, one dessert, one coffee, two waters and one glass of house champagne.

Favorite Dish: My dessert was indeed tasty. It was a warm chocolate souffle of sorts, and when you broke it open with your spoon hot chocolate poured out. Wonderful. However the menu was misleading in that it claimed this dish was served with fresh cherries (and I emphasise the plural here) and cherry ice cream. There was three quarters of one fresh cherry on the plate and a teaspoon of over-iced cherry icecream.

Address: 109a Lower Baggott Street, Dublin 2
Rating: 2
Theme: French
Website: http://www.lecrivain.com

• Written Aug 22, 2006

SabrinaSummerville Visits Here Frequently!

“"I am of Ireland....Come dance with me in Ireland", W.B. Yeats”

Have you been to Dublin?