Chile Loco's: "3x1 beer and the best (cheap) food in town" Isla Mujeres Restaurant Tip by ricknkat

Isla Mujeres Restaurants: 37 reviews and 61 photos

I read good things about this place on line but it was closed on Monday's, so we walked by and forgot about it for the next few days, which was very unfortunate. Our first and only meal there was just about the best Mexican chow we have had, certainly for the price, in literally years. I was stunned when they told me the Coronas were 3x1 (50 cents each), and the good beer- Negra Modelo and Montejo are still 2x1 at $1.50, which was only 75 cents ALL DAY LONG- absolutely mind boggling!! (it's also about a 3 minute walk from North beach which makes it perfect for lunch and a long midday grog fest). We ordered the Burritas botano (appetizer)- small half quesedillas with ham which were delicious even though it took 25 minutes to get them... Kathryn ordered the 1st house specialty, the Filete Alambre, which was a sizeable plateful of super tender marinated steak medallions with grilled onions, poblano chiles and smoky bacon. I got the secon specialty, the Filete Albanil, which was also delicious but thoroughly second rate after trying a bite of K's plate, which would seriously compete with some of the best filet mignon I've had. Both plates were under $8, which was an absolute steal on the island, even compared to some of the more low ambiance, blue collar eateries we tried. I also read after we left that the coffee and breakfast at this place is legendary and also a good deal. We wished we would have eaten there every night- definitely not to be missed (just remember to be patient- you're in Mexico after all)!

Comparison: less expensive than average
Directions: North end of Av. Hidalgo, the main restaurant street
Price: less than US$10
Rating: 5
Theme: Mexican

• Updated Aug 21, 2006

Comments

ricknkat

“The real act of discovery is seeing with new eyes -Proust”

Have you been to Isla Mujeres?