"Brasseries (3)" Dining & Drinking Tip by Norali

Dining & Drinking, Paris: 93 reviews and 101 photos

... We were enjoying it, people watching when two of our neighbours stood up. One man in a shirt & pants with paints on it (probably an artist), the other in a clean but equally casual attire. They asked whether we were Malagasy. To the question, we replied "Yes". From that, a conversation started. The presumably artist was drunk & very volubile about his Malagasy connection whilst the other one was more quiet. The latter was, in fact, a keen lover of Madagascar. He also owns a pharmaceutical company. His business requires frequent travels to my island. These two guys happened to know a Malagasy writer who was very active in fighting for Madagascar's Independence. We talked about Madagascar's situation. Inevitably as there was a time in 2001-2002, the country had experienced a political crisis ensuing the 2001 presidential elections.

Funny to talk to strangers about this great man (the Malagasy writer, not the drunk man) who joined his efforts to others (me included) during the crisis. Despite the fact that the writer could read what I wrote about the crisis, to raise awareness about the situation (as an activist within an online community) & that he had sent an encouragement to me via a common friend, I felt it weird to talk to strangers about a cause dear to me. Even if I had the feeling those two guys shared the same opinions as mine (we all wanted the dictator to step down as he lost those elections). Even if they know where the writer lives (he & the drunken man are 14ème arr. locals) & that I was dying to enter in contact with him again [during the crisis, an error made me mistaking his e-mail address for another one. My e-mails never got across]... despite all those favorable signs, I felt only to close ones I'd talk about such thing... but that's Paris effect. Can be a cosmopolitan city but out of the places & areas tourists use to rush & flock in, people still take some time to talk to each other at a brasserie terrace, watching the world going by, sipping the nth pint of beer, glass of kir...

• Written Aug 20, 2006