"Lezard Rouge - The Departure" Al Metlaoui Things to Do Tip by barryg23

The Lezard Rouge
      First tunnel
      Metlaoui
    by barryg23

Finally at about 10.25 we were off. The train crawled out of the station for the first few hundred metres and the scenery here wasn't too impressive. all the guys working waved as we left as did the locals whom we passed on the streets. The train has been going 5 days a week for the last 10 years or so or so but they still seemed to find it quite a spectacle. We passed through the town then past a factory before going out into open country. The scenery still wasn't too good but at least we were picking up pace. The track was very curvy too which made for some nice pictures of the carriages in front and behind me. Beside us were an English couple from up North, another young English couple from the same area, 2 Italian guys, the French, another couple opposite and a few others who I didn't hear much from.

The English had let early that morning from their hotel and were way for the whole day. No idea where this was but I know I'm glad I missed this. They were on 2-week holidays. One of them asked where it was they were again today. Honestly.....

For the first section we definitely were on the wrong side in terms of taking pictures as the mountains were to the right and we were looking left. The trip got more interesting when we approached the mountains and then went through some dug out passages where everything went dark.

• Written Aug 13, 2006

Comments

barryg23

“Back from my year in Latin America. Quite a few VT pages to write!”

Have you been to Al Metlaoui?