"Water on the Lake" Top 5 Page for this destination Chott El Jerid Things to Do Tip by barryg23

Chott El Jerid Things to Do: 23 reviews and 34 photos

Me on the Chott

Me on the Chott
      From a distance
      Ruth at the Red Lake
      Red & White Lake
      Red Lake
    by barryg23

As we went further into the Chott, the mirages got better and the amount of plantlife and greenery we could see decreased.We had the road to ourselves for long stretches and it felt like we were in another world almost. Then suddenly we saw a few cars parked on the side of the road and five people out on the Chott. We had finally reached water. And it looked spectacular. From the road it was a beautiful mix of reds and white. It didn't diminish as we got closer. I've never see anything quite like it. It was absolutely beautiful and far nicer than anything I had hoped or expected to see.

We took lots of pictures and stayed around longer than the other visitors so had the place to ourselves for a bit. I think we came at a good time of year. There is not so much water left but that what is there causes great colours and visions. the surface was moonlike (I imagine), rather crusty though near to the water a bit softer so you could leave footprints. Ruth tasted the salt and took a sample with her as a souvenir. There were a couple of mounds above the water which we climbed upon. They made for great photos.

• Written Aug 12, 2006

Comments

barryg23

“Back from my year in Latin America. Quite a few VT pages to write!”

Have you been to Chott El Jerid?