"Pack Your Umbrella in July" Rain Gear Tip by AKtravelers

Rain Gear, Tokyo: 4 reviews and 7 photos

A rainy day at Yasukuni Shrine
by AKtravelers

Clothing/Shoes/Weather Gear: Tokyo experiences its rainy season from late June through July, so pack your umbrella and some quick-drying clothes. In 2006, my trip to Tokyo was a week long and I did not see my shadow at all because the clouds were so thick. Worse yet, it rained (sometime heavily) about 80% of that time. I had plans to climb Mt. Fuji (a lifelong gopal) that I had to defer because it would have been an unpleasant, viewless seven-hour uphill slog and an equally unpleasant downhill. Sure, I would have been above the clouds for sunrise, but to see WHAT?!?!? Just Clouds?!?! No Thanks.

Interestingly, all the Tokyoites I talked to insisted that the weather would clear by 1 August. Unfortunately, I don't know if it did because I was gone by then.

Miscellaneous: Luckily, Tokyo has lots of indoor activities or sites that can be seen unimpeded by rain. Given my rainy calendar, I chose to check out several museums that I had passed by on other trips, such as the Mori Art Museum, the Museum of Photography, the War Museum at the Yasukuni Shrine and, of course, the Beer Museum at Yebisu Gardens (after which I didn't care about the weather!). So, even if you have to be in Tokyo in July, you won't be bored.

• Written Aug 9, 2006

Comments

AKtravelers

“My plan:1. See the world 2. Have a beer”

Have you been to Tokyo?