Himalayan Yak Restaurant: "Dal Bhat and Gundruk in Queens" Queens Restaurant Tip by hawaiiansnowlion

Queens Restaurants: 40 reviews and 65 photos

I have been going to this restaurant ever since their previous incarnation as the Tibetan Yak five years ago. It has remodeled and is much larger and more 'upscale' than before, though the prices are pretty much the same. They have expanded their menu - they used to serve only Tibetan food, now they also have a Nepali menu - hence their more inclusive name. I am vegetarian and love spicy food so I usually get the spicy potato curry and roti(shogok khatsa) - I've never been disappointed with this dish. Since they started serving Nepali food I sometimes get the vegetarian dal bhat - it's so good I didn't mind paying $9 for it, knowing that in Nepal I would pay 20-30 rupees(less than .50) - the aloo gobi is the best I've had anywhere. I also enjoy the sandeko gundruk, an unusual Nepali vegetable dish you won't find anywhere else. The only disappointing thing about this place is their momos - mediocre at best - go to Lhasa in the E. Village if you want the best momos in NYC.

Favorite Dish: Hard to pick just one - probably the shogok khatsa - spicy potatoes with lots of cilantro, roti with a plain lassi to cool the heat.

Address: 72-20 Roosevelt Ave., Jackson Heights
Price Comparison: about average
Directions: 7 train: 74th Ave. stop
E, F, G, V, R trains: Roosevelt Ave. stop

Price: US$11-20
Rating: 5
Theme: Other

• Written Aug 9, 2006

Comments

Ranked Member

Have you been to Queens?