"Tips, shops and trips... Just back on Aug 4..." Sharm El Sheikh Warnings Or Dangers Tip by davloc

Sharm El Sheikh Warnings and Dangers: 68 reviews and 40 photos

Hello folks!

I read the advice. I took the trip. Now I need to vent.

I am an American and have traveled to many places. I have been hassled by touts and people who wanted my tourist dollars in many places. I always try to be as polite as possible and understand that people are trying to make a living and life is tough in their country. I also have met a number of very nice Egyptians.
Having said that, I have never run into a more parasitical bunch of people in my life. I tried being polite. I used my family for various excuses to skip around Na'ama Bay, but even no thank you and la'a shakran did not work. The absolute worst was the trip to Cairo and the tip feeding frenzy there. Considering how big the pyramids are, this was an amazing thing. The security people, in white, try to keep people off the pyramids, except in the one place I saw with stairs. But, they will let you up for a price. The camel riders would offer a "free" picture and then would try and get you on their camel. One man even told me I needed a ticket for one area and he would show me around. No part of no thank you got rid of him and he was even yelling at me when I flat out told him I did not need or want his service and he would get no money from me.
Considering I took the bus and it was extremely hot, and was tired these were the last people I needed to see.
It may have just been that this is during the high tourist season, but all things considered, except for the antiquities and the snorkeling, I would have just as easily gone somewhere else.
Loved the swimming, loved the fish, loved the restaurant people at my resort and the guy at reception. The places where tips were built in, like my restaurant, were very nice. I would have paid a fee to avoid the aggrevation.
If you go to the pyramids, take pictures from as far away from an Egypatian as possible. Walk around the side towards the Solar boat museum.
Thanks for the vent...

Review Helpfulness: 4 out of 5 stars

• Written Aug 5, 2006

Ranked Member

Have you been to Sharm El Sheikh?