Private apartments everywhere: "Doing your own thing" Top 5 Page for this destination Croatia Hotel Tip by TheWanderingCamel

Croatia Hotels: 155 reviews and 244 photos

Among the olives
      Among the olives
      Cavtat garden
      View from a balcony - Dubrovnik in the distance
  • Suppertime - Croatia
      Meet the family
    by TheWanderingCamel

Self-catering apartments are so easy to find in Croatia's seaside towns and villages. Most towns have a booking agency quite prominently situated on the road into town or you can ask at any tourist office or travel agency. We took our chances everywhere we went apart from Dubrovnik (I always like to have my first night's accommodation booked when travelling) and these local agencies came up trumps for us each time. The apartments we found were all spacious, spotlessly clean and sufficiently equipped for the amount of cooking I'm prepared to do when on holiday. Each one had a wide balcony with a pleasant outlook ( a couple had quite stunning views) in peaceful locations where we could sit outside to eat breakfast and the meals we didn't take at restaurants. All had good showers and plenty of hot water - though I'd bring my own towel along next time, just in case, as I do like something bigger than a teatowel to dry myself off with. Some were airconditioned, one had a washing machine - all had a welcome waiting for us that we couldn't fault - even after the Croatia-Australia World Cup game.

In June, nightly rates varied from just 10 euros per person (in Bol for 2 bedrooms, 1 bathroom and sea view) to 20 euros in Cavtat (for a 3 bedroomed, 2 bathroomed, airconditioned apartment set in a beautiful garden with a view straight across to Dubrovnik).

Unique Qualities: Without exception we were afforded the warmest welcomes - an invitation to join our hosts for a an hour or so of conversation and a drink (or four) of their own wine. We met children and in-laws, pets and neighbors; had our cevapcici cooked for us and brought back with a big bowl of yummy chips made from home-grown potatoes; found bowls of apricots and a plate of cookies waiting on the kitchen table; washing was taken from the line in the garden and kept waiting for our return, beautifully folded; phone calls were made for us and addresses found - in other words, we were taken in as guests of the families who owned these apartments. Luxury hotels are fine but this was grassroots hospitality of the very best kind.

Price Comparison: less expensive than average
Theme: Other

• Updated Apr 21, 2008

TheWanderingCamel Visits Here Frequently!

Have you been to Croatia?