"CHARTES CATHEDRAL-The largest Cathedral in France" Paris Off The Beaten Path Tip by thinking
Paris Off The Beaten Path: 1,965 reviews and 4,156 photos
This Cathedral is not to be missed!
Partly built starting in 1145 by an unknown architect, and then reconstructed over a 26-year period after the fire of 1194, Chartres Cathedral marks the high point of French Gothic art.
It is SW of Paris, approximately one hour by train. The train is direct to Chartes.
The vast nave, in pure ogival style, the porches adorned with fine sculptures from the middle of the 12th century, and the magnificent 12th- and 13th-century stained-glass windows, all in remarkable condition, combine to make it a masterpiece.
For an informative website to help you plan a trip Chartes, France
More Off The Beaten Path in Paris (7)
More Reviews (113)
- See All THE BEST WORKERS IN FRANCE
- See All 10,000 BICYCLES IN PARIS AT 1000...
- See All MOST PHARMACIES ARE CLOSED ON SUNDAYS...
- See All 2 star restaurant
- See All THE MARKET AT ALMA-MARCEAU
- See All IN ST-DENIS: AN OASIS FOR WOMEN
- See All WHAT IS La France Profonde" or "DEEP...
- See All CHARMING BED AND BREAKFAST NETWORK
- See All PlAN DE PARIS MAP IS THE BEST!
- BRING YOUR OWN DVD'S FOR EXERCISE
- "La plus belle avenue du monde" for the...
- See All AUTUMN FESTIVAL SEPTEMBER 14-DECEMBER...
thinking's Related Pages
Have you been to Paris?Share Your Travels