"A Cocktail of all that is Latin American" Colombia Favorite Tip by buhag003

Colombia General: 65 reviews and 53 photos

Favorite thing: The great variety of landscapes that this country presents is mind-boggling. From the Caribbean beaches of Cartagena and Santa Marta to the high and cold mountains of the Sierra Nevada, Colombia will never cease to impress. My personal favourite is Barranquilla (also Shakira's hometown), a town to which I've been twice for two reasons: the wonderful character of the inhabitants (a couple of whom are my friends) and the colourful carnival in February.

Fondest memory: I miss the climate! In Bucaramanga, the town where I lived for most of my 14 months in the country, it is sunny and warm (28-30 C) all year round. There's no winter, just a wet season and a dry one. The only difference between the two is the total rainfall. I miss the mountain trecks I used to participate in on Sundays in various locations in the department of Santander. We'd start off early at 8am and get back after 6pm, aching legs and all. In the middle of such trecks we'd stop to bathe in a mountain lake, eat and resume our climb. The scenery is to die for.

• Written Aug 2, 2006

“So many things to see, so little time...”

This member has not been ranked.
No VT rank yet.

Have you been to Colombia?