"History of Backa Palanka" Backa Palanka Favorite Tip by miman
Backa Palanka Favorites: 1 reviews and 1 photos
Favorite thing: Archeologists have proved that people live here for centuries. There are many archeological objects from Stone, Bronze, and Iron age and Roman period.It is first mentioned as a settlement in 1486, as a suburb of Ilok called Iločka. In the beginning of the 16th century, village was in property of landowner Lovro Iločki, a duke of Syrmia. It was destroyed by the Ottomans after The Battle of Mohács in 1526. It was rebuilt as small Ottoman fortress named Palanka. During the Ottoman rule, Palanka was mostly populated by ethnic Serbs.In 1687 Palanka was included into Habsburg Monarchy and more Orthodox Serbs settled here. In the year of 1699, Turks left Palanka, which was then mentioned as a small town where Serbs and Hungarians live.It was used for military purposes from 1702 to 1744. Nova Palanka (New Palanka) was founded between 1765 and 1770 2 kilometers away from Palanka and Nemačka Palanka (German Palanka) was founded by Germans in 1783. Those three cities will become one city, Bačka Palanka, in the 19th century.Palanka's industrial development started in 1765, when brick plant was built. It got it's first post office in 1828. In 1875, one of the first libraries in Vojvodina was opened.In 1884 Sintelon was founded. In 1886, first public school started working. By the year of 1894, railroad was built from Bačka Palanka to Feketić and a first phone call was made with Novi Sad. During 1990s, about 5,000 people from Croatia and Bosnia moved to Bačka Palanka because of the Yugoslav wars. During the NATO bombing in 1999, Bačka Palanka was bombed by NATO only twice, on 2nd and 27th April. Both times target was The Bridge of Youth. It was only damaged, but not destroyed.
Fondest memory: Bačka Palanka's church St. John the Baptist is one of the oldest churches in Vojvodina.