"¡¡¡PIÑA!!! ("ananas") PINEAPPLE!!!" Top 5 Page for this destination Cultural Tips Tip by carolinaEspada

Cultural Tips, Caracas: 48 reviews and 52 photos

Dos piñas = two pineapples

Dos piñas = two pineapples
    by carolinaEspada
      Weird, we never slice it this way...
    by carolinaEspada
      This is the way to slice a piña in Venezuela
    by carolinaEspada

Besides beeing one of the most delicious fruits in the whole wide world, the piña ("ñ": try to say "jalapegna", and then say "pigna" = piña) has therapeutic, curative, healling properties. In Venezuela, after we have surgery (any kind, from a tooth removed to a general laparotomy or whatever...) we eat piña or drink natural piña juice (with all the fiber). Why? The piña is a natural "desinflamatory" (does that word exists in English?). Piña helps the inflamation of the body tissues to heal...to go away. Besides, it tastes sooo good!!!

Dont over eat piña, because you can get an allergic reaction (itchy). No more than half a piña per day, per person.

You can buy piñas at the huge groceries stores, markets, tiny street markets or plain piña trucks that park anywhere. In Venezuela we have different varieties of piñas, the ones from Mérida State (at Los Andes mountain range) are the sweetest ones. But I like them all.

• Written Aug 1, 2006

Comments

carolinaEspada Lives Here!

carolinaEspada

“Sooner or later I will be back to VT. First I have to upgrade my computer. I cant read your emails, nor "forum"...”

Have you been to Caracas?