"Scruffy Herberts" Menin Gate Tip by PaulKirk

Menin Gate, Ieper: 54 reviews and 122 photos

Where's the chip shop?
by PaulKirk

One of the downsides of WW1 being an educational project is the number of British schools who make laying a wreath at the Last Post ceremony part of their trip. Fortunately some make a real effort but too often others don't. The Committee responsible seem to have forgotten some simple requests. Like making anyone who lays a wreath make any kind of effort to dress tidily. The British Legion branches do their best but the schools don't. I don't expect uniforms and starch but a bit of an effort. Too often recently some Scruffy Herberts turn up in what they please. My vote goes to Burford School earlier this year. One of the wreath laying party wore jeans, duffel coat(- with hands in pockets) and a bright red rucksack. I commented on this wonderful show of Britain's finest afterwards and one of the masters said he was proud of them. I wasn't! Remembrance is one thing. A couldn't care less attitude as long as it ticked a box in the project work is another. I'm a beer drinking Brit but I'm proud of our heritage and I wouldn't let it down so carelessly and if I was given that opportunity I would make an effort to look the part. It's an honour and should be respected as such. Anyone else seen such sights that make you wonder whether the buglers should pack it in and be replaced by a crowd of Happy Clappers? To those who go on and study a vast and complex story I apologise. But I want to see a proper balance betweeen education and Remembrance. I don't blame the kids but wonder if the teachers know what it all means.

Address: End of Menenstraat
Directions: Out of the classroom and off on a school trip with no thought of what it entails.
Website: http://www.lastpost.be/mainpage.htm

• Written Jul 29, 2006

Comments

PaulKirk Visits Here Frequently!

PaulKirk