"Canoe/kayak a glacier up close" Alaska Things to Do Tip by TheTravelSlut

Landing at Davidson Glacier beach

Landing at Davidson Glacier beach
      Canoeing around Davidson Lake
    by TheTravelSlut
      Note how small the canoe is @ the glacier face
    by TheTravelSlut
      On my way to glacier face
    by TheTravelSlut
      My guides were knowledgable & funny!

The Davidson Glacier near Haines

In the accompanying photo, check the size of one of the other canoes near the glacier face to get the proper scale of how large the Davidson Glacier really is. And this was one of the smaller glaciers I saw.

Icebergs as big as a bus floated near me in the lake and knowing they broke off the face recently made me appreciate not getting closer than 100 yards to the face.

Arriving in Skagway it was cold in the morning and fortunately I boarded the (warm) Chilcat Express boat for a 45 minute trip to the Davidson Glacier area near Haines. The Express is the fastest boat in Alaska and capable of 50+ MPH.

My guide Kyle was interesting, funny and informative. We landed on a beach near the glacier, took a 4-wheel drive bus to an outpost where I was dressed in canoe/wild water gear. A short hike to the canoes on the river preceded our paddling upriver to Davidson Lake which was fed by the glacier. This truly was a back to nature adventure and after a quick paddle around the lake, it was time to approach the glacier face. A moment of silence in front of the massive glacier made me reflect on the beauty of Alaska. We then reversed our route and headed back to the Express which had lunch waiting for us for the return to Skagway

Address: Near Haines, Alaska
Directions: About a 45 minute jet boat ride from Skagway and 30 minutes from Haines
othercontact: PO Box 509 Haines, AK. 99827
Phone: 888-766-2103

• Updated Apr 4, 2011

TheTravelSlut Visits Here Frequently!

TheTravelSlut

“"Good girls go to heaven, bad girls go everywhere!" Helen Gurley Brown”

Have you been to Alaska?