"A slow paddle." Inle Lake Things to Do Tip by planxty

Inle Lake Things to Do: 78 reviews and 195 photos

Lady in boat, Inle Lake, Myanmar.
by planxty

Lady in boat, Inle Lake, Myanmar.
    by planxty
      Stilt house, Inle Lake, Myanmar.
    by planxty
      Bath time, Inle Lake, Myanmar.
    by planxty
      water lily, Inle Lake, Myanmar.
    by planxty
      Water buffalo, Inle Lake, Myanmar.
    by planxty

There are basically two ways to see the lake and its environs. Option one go for a trip on one of the numerous horrendously noisy "long-tail" boats which will probably take you to one of the tourist orientated markets, as well as some of the local sights. The second, and my preferred option, is to go for a trip in a paddled canoe type boat round the canals at the North end of the lake. the disadvantage of this is that you don't get onto the lake proper (safety reasons being quoted) but this is more than compensated for by the tranquility and the fact that you get to places where the majority of tourists don't go.

I arranged a day's trip at one of the many travel agents in Nyaungshwe, and it cost me 8USD. This deal consisted of two local ladies paddling me about most of the day and taking me to vatious places of interest. to be honest, I think they were using it as an excuse to socialise, because everywhere we went they seemed to know people and stop for a chat. It was great because no-one hassled me to buy anything the whole day, which other travellers told me was definitely not the case on the lake proper.

The photos give you some idea of what you may expect to see round the canals.

Review Helpfulness: 4 out of 5 stars

• Written Jul 28, 2006

More Things to Do in Inle Lake (1)

Comments

planxty

“Where's the bar?”

Have you been to Inle Lake?