HI Northwest Portland: "A Simple Hostel in a Great Location" Portland Hotel Tip by Lornabug

Portland Hotels: 126 reviews and 100 photos

It was funny to book this hotel arriving in Portland in sudden, unexpected need of a bed on Pride weekend, since my friends had never stayed in one and kept asking what hostels were like, all the details and probing questions included. Because answering all their questions left all my hostel experience fresh in my mind, I was able to see this stay in light of hostel conditions worldwide, and I'd give it top marks.

The place was pretty booked because of Pride, and we didn't luck out for our first night there, but we were able to get two bunks for the 3 following nights. Also, we left early, and they let us out of our 24 hour cancellation notice when we left early because they had enough last-minute interest. In light of that, I'd say make a reservation, but keep trying if you find yourself on the streets of Portland and you might get lucky.

The location is just outside of downtown transit's free zone, making it free or cheap to get to. Once there, it is kidy-corner to a great big green park and hip northwest Portland. My blind morning forage for caffeine only took me to the next block for Blue Moon Cafe's Peet's-like coffee. There are a couple of tables out front of the hostel to relax at, there's a fully-equiped kitchen with fridges and a dining/game room. The desk had plenty of travel guides to use and odds and ends you might be in need of. We found days worth of things to do just looking at their fliers and bulletin boards, and both staff and travelers were kind and friendly.

The place is like an old Victorian, though not run-down. We stayed in a room with 3 adjoined rooms, 4 bunks total (8 beds). There was one cute bathroom with an old-fashioned free-standing tub and orphaned toiletries for all 3 rooms, as well as a similar one in the hall for anyone in desperation or a hurry. Don't get to bed too late if you care about your bottom bunkmates: the beds are SUPER noisy! Sheets and towels are available for a buck or so, but blankets are free.

Unique Qualities: Great location, clean, well-equipped.

Address: 1818 NW Glisan Street, Portland (Northwest)
Price Comparison: more expensive than average
Directions: Check this site for directions by car, bus, airport, train, etc.: http://www.hostelz.com/hostel/58416-HI---Portland%2C-Northwest-Neighborhood
Phone: (503) 241-2783
Price: US$20-40
Theme: Hostel
Website: http://www.2oregonhostels.com

• Updated Jul 28, 2006

“Notice things”

Have you been to Portland?