"Gibbs Hill Lighthouse" Southampton Parish Favorite Tip by grandmaR

Gibbs Lighthouse from the ferry

Gibbs Lighthouse from the ferry
      Lighthouse against the sun
    by grandmaR
      From a distance coming in the harbor
      Old postcard of Gibbs Lighthouse
      Back of the postcard
    by grandmaR

Favorite thing: Since I love looking at lighthouses, I thought that one thing I might do while I was in Bermuda was to visit Gibbs Lighthouse. But it didn't work out that way until 2011 at least partly because there is some walking to do to get to it if you don't take a taxi.

Although the lighthouse can be seen by ships from 40 miles away (it is still active although it was damaged in Hurricane Fabian), the closest that I got was on the ferry. That's something that I have had to put off until next time.

I wasn't sure if I wanted to climb the 185 steps (probably not), but I thought we might have tea there. They also have a gift shop.

By Bus From Hamilton:

Take Bus # 7 which will take you via South Shore past the Fairmont Southampton Princess Hotel. Leave the bus at the Henry IIIV restaurant bus station. From there it is a 5 - 10 min walk to the lighthouse.

Hours:
7 days a week 9.00 a.m. to 5.00 p.m. Closed for the month of February

Fondest memory: In the decade before the lighthouse was constructed, a total of 39 vessels were wrecked off the Western end of the islands - the reefs extend some 16 miles or more out to sea.

• Updated Jan 18, 2013

Comments

grandmaR

“"..an adventure is an inconvenience rightly considered." G.K. Chesterton”

Have you been to Southampton Parish?