"Minimize Chances of a Car Break-In" Sacramento Warnings Or Dangers Tip by Naradja

Sacramento Warnings and Dangers: 12 reviews and 4 photos

(1) When you find a parking space, check the area for broken glass. The same areas are robbed routinely, and usually several cars are hit at the same time. Streets are cleaned weekly, but glass is a very clear indicator of a danger zone.

(2) Everyone knows not to leave valuables in the car, but it isn't enough here. Don't leave anything in the car. Things you perceive as having no value will get taken. On different occasions, I've had my dog's water bowl taken, a child's gift, and a $1 school notebook.

(3) Leave your car unlocked (I know - it seems irresponsible.) Even with very active security, great lighting, and a gated complex, the only thing that stopped the regular smashing of my car windows was me not locking my car. Thieves still regularly pilfer the car, but I haven't had damage since using this strategy.

(4) Think about what you are really leaving in your car. I recover a lot of purses, backpacks, and computer cases from a park near me. I always try to return the remainders to owners when I can find them. I am shocked at how often people keep their flashdrives (used as backup) WITH their computers (so they are stolen, too). Twice I have recovered big key rings to homes and offices along with plenty of info to get to the home and office.

(5) Put a phone number or email in your stuff so you can be reached if it is recovered. Your name or address are not necessary. A tag on a ring attached to the inside of a purse or backpack would work great.

(6) If your car does get broken in to, don't waste your time calling the police. They will not come. They won't even fill out a report.

(7) Don't underestimate who is robbing your car. Where I live, thieves are not bums or meth addicts: they are kids about 15-25 who work in groups, who are clever, aware, and well-practiced at robbing. They know about computers and credit cards and they never get caught. They are good at robbing places that look very safe - downtown, busy family parks, suburban neighborhoods, etc.

• Written Jul 23, 2006

Naradja Lives Here!

Have you been to Sacramento?