"José Antonio Delgado... in memoriam..." Top 5 Page for this destination Caracas Sports & Outdoors Tip by carolinaEspada

Caracas Sports & Outdoors: 14 reviews and 51 photos

by carolinaEspada
      At Kha Tengri (7010 meters)
    by carolinaEspada
      In a conference after climbing the Everest
      PROYECTO CUMBRE from the Everest to the South Pole
    by carolinaEspada

I will write about him and mountain climbing in Venezuela later. We JUST found out about his death in Nanga Parbat mountain, in Pakistan... after a 10 days search... In urdu language that mountains means: Naked Mountain, but is better known as Killer Mountain. Indeed. We have been expecting news from him since July 12th, but not this one.

But I must tell you about José Antonio`s and Proyecto Cumbre successes.

Next day: I just read that in mountain climbing there are rules and codes. If anyone dies above 5000 meters, he or she will be burried in the mountain, on the same spot where found. Right now the "cherpas", rescue members from Pakistan, are doing the burial. His widow, kids, family and friends will receive a personal belonging of José Antonio. Let me add that he lived -fully lived-, the way he exactly wanted, and that he will be remembered with respect, admiration and love.

In Venezuela, having part of LOS ANDES mountains, there has always been a climbing tradition. They were called ANDINISTAS, and not ALPINISTAS, because they were not climbing THE ALPS. But our climbers are now called MONTAÑISTAS (mountainists... mountaners?), because they have reached the Everest and gone to the South Pole... and everywhere else.

Right in Caracas, in the capital, we have the AVILA mountain. It looks easy to climb. But is not. I can be very tricky and dangerous. So, if you are not a real profesional mountain climber, stick to the paths, and roads in El Avila. Leave the climbing for experts.

Equipment: If you are a profesional climber, you will know what to bring. But I suggest you get in touch with PROYECTO CUMBRE, our own particular venezuelan organization of climbing heros.

José Antonio did so many climbings... in his top 40s, there are a top 5 (over 8000 meters):
1. Cho Oyu 8201 m. in 1994.
2. Shishapangma Central, 8008 m. in 1998.
3. Gasherbrum II 8035 m. in 2000.
4. Everest 8850 m. in 2001
5. Nanga Parbat 8122 m. in 2006. He made it, alone, to the very top. Coming down, due to the killer winds and blizzard, he was taken away.

Taken away, but not from our hearts.

And he always said: "Todos tenemos un Everest" = "We all have an Everest", meaning by that, that we all have a goal, a dream in our lives. He had many...and he reached them...

A Vt member suggested that I should post this in a travelogue (I dont know what that is and where to find it). But I'm sure that José Antonio would rather be in this page, in sports in Venezuela, in mountain climbing. So I will treasure him right here.

Address: Los Andes Mountain Range, Tepuyes and El AVILA
Directions: 1 tepuy, 2 tepuyes... they are located at the Gran Sabana very close to the jungle. But you must be a profesional climber. El Avila, right here. Gorgeous at the other side of my window.
Theme: Climbing
Website: http://www.proyectocumbre.com.ve/

• Updated Jul 26, 2006

carolinaEspada Lives Here!

“Sooner or later I will be back to VT. First I have to upgrade my computer. I cant read your emails, nor "forum"...”

Have you been to Caracas?