"Madam Lucrezia - Adds her voice to talking statues" Top 5 Page for this destination Rome Off The Beaten Path Tip by icunme
Rome Off The Beaten Path: 784 reviews and 1,342 photos
The mutilated marble bust of a colossal statue of a priestess of Isis near Chiesa di S. Marco became known as Madama Lucrezia and it provided a female character to the little choir of talking statues, which was called il Congresso degli Arguti - the Shrewd Congress.
The most famous pasquinade is no doubt:
Quod non fecerunt Barbari
What the Barbarians did not do (meaning to Rome)
the Barberini did.
The target of the pasquinade was Urbanus VIII Barberini (1623-44) who had used the bronze tiles of the Pantheon for the Canopy of St Peter's.
More Off The Beaten Path in Rome (56)
More Reviews (185)
- See All Sushi in Rome
- See All CARAVAGGIO Exhibit - Palazzo Venezia
- See All 3-star in 5-star location
- See All Biggest MALL in Rome - Parco Leonardo
- See All Low Cost Airport Transfer - USO Rome...
- See All Christmas Eve 7 Fish Traditional Dinner
- See All Should I rent a scooter to see Rome?
- See All Tram
- See All Bike and Hike along the Via Appia Antica
- See All JONATHAN'S ANGELS - not an angel seen...
- Villa Borghese overpriced and surley...
Been to Rome?Share your travels with the world!
icunme's Related Pages
Have you been to Rome?Share Your Travels