"Copan Ruinas" Honduras Off The Beaten Path Tip by alza

Honduras Off The Beaten Path: 32 reviews and 25 photos

Arrival at Parque Central, Copan Ruinas
by alza

Copan is in the WESTERN part of Honduras, in the centre of the NORTH-SOUTH borderline with Guatemala.

CHIQUIMULA is the town in Guatemala closest to the border crossing into Honduras. Calculate about 2 hours from Chiquimula to EL FLORIDO, the hamlet where you cross the border on foot.
Buses leave Chiquimula for El Florido all day, every hour. MAKE SURE to take a bus by 1 p.m. latest in Chiquimula! The border at El Florido is said to close about 5 p.m. but I arrived before 4 p.m. & barely made it. The officials had closed the wicket & were all saying goodbye to each other. The money-changers on the street signalled for me to rush over to the Customs & Immigration barrack, & even asked the official to wait for me. Thanks guys!

Once you've paid your way out of Guatemala & into Honduras (get lempiras from the money-changers), walk over to the small busses, minivans & trucks waiting to take you to COPAN RUINAS, 12 kms further (about 20 minutes.)

I don't remember how much I paid for the old van that took me from El Florido to Copan. It seemed a bit much for such a short journey but Copan is THE destination from El Florido & the owners of those busses are all vying for your business.
I chose to go with the first van owner who approached me because he was nice & helpful with my baggage & he also promised to help me find a hotel in Copan Ruinas.

I went from CHIQUIMULA to EL FLORIDO by taxi, the road was beautiful & it only took about an hour. I had gone to the Terminal in Chiquimula in the morning, to enquire about bus schedules but it was very chaotic. Terminal employees tell you one thing, then you walk out in the street & 10 men are inviting you on "their" bus, none of which show their destination. And they're all leaving right now... I had to go back to the hotel to get my luggage! So that's why I took a taxi, right at my hotel door...

• Written Jul 18, 2006

Comments

alza

“Voyage Voyage!”

Have you been to Honduras?