"I-90 Connector Tunnel" Big Dig Tip by travelfrosch

Big Dig, Boston: 10 reviews and 6 photos

In 2006, a section of ceiling from the Connector Tunnel between the Massachusetts Turnpike (I-90) and the Ted Williams Tunnel collapsed, crushing a car and killing a motorist. The collapse appears to have been caused by poor engineering and use of shoddy materials. As a result, the Turnpike Authority Commissioner was forced to resign.

While the Ted Williams Tunnel and the connecting tunnels to I-90 and I-93 re-opened to traffic a few months later, locals, whose faith in the Big Dig engineers and inspectors was somewhat less than unquestioning to begin with, say they hold their breath and cross their fingers every time they go through the "repaired" tunnel.

If you're arriving at Logan Airport and want to avoid the questionable tunnel, consider taking the water shuttle or the Blue Line to get downtown. Also, while the Silver Line goes through the Ted Williams Tunnel, it does not go through the I-90 connector tunnel.

Website: http://www.boston.com/

• Updated Feb 11, 2009

More Warnings and Dangers in Boston (1)

Comments

travelfrosch Lives Here!

travelfrosch

“"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" -Benjamin Franklin”

Have you been to Boston?