"A coded message?" Saint Sulpice Church - Eglise Tip by tiabunna

Saint Sulpice Church - Eglise, Paris: 32 reviews and 90 photos

Equinox mark (oval near camera) and pillar.
by tiabunna
      Equinox mark (oval near camera) and pillar.
    by tiabunna
      Window to south and brass line on floor.
      St. Sulpice altar
      The magnificent organ at St. Sulpice
    by tiabunna

I?d read the Da Vinci Code, albeit some time previously, but although I knew the Sainte Sulpice cathedral was relevant to the book, the details had slipped my memory. I found my way to the altar, where there was a brass line on the floor leading up to a stone column (photo 1) on the far side: ah yes, that was something to do with it. So I stood there struggling to dredge up memory, camera in hand and trying not to look too much like a tourist, when suddenly the strangest thing happened. Implausible as it may sound, this is true.

A well dressed man in a suit, tie, and gabardine overcoat, came up to me and started talking earnestly in French. When I persuaded him to slow to my comprehension speed, he told me that the brass line on the floor was put there in the 1700s, as part of a scientific experiment. He pointed to the window on the south, high above the floor (photo2) and told me of two holes through which the sunlight passes to land on brass markers at the solstices and equinoxes. He also told me that, with modern technology, it has since been shown to be accurate to within seconds. Then he walked away, speaking to nobody else and knowing I had understood his message. I looked carefully around - shades of the Da Vinci Code indeed! But those candlestick holders (photo 3) are about 1.5 metres tall and not to be waved about lightly.

Whatever the book says, the brass line is not actually on the Paris Meridian and, much as I?m sorry to disappoint you, was never called the ?Rose Line?. But while there don?t forget to admire the interior of this enormous baroque church and to look at the marvellous organ (photo 4) ? with luck, it may even be playing during your visit.

Address: Metro Line 4 : Saint-Sulpice; Line 10 : Odeon
Directions: Place Saint Sulpice, 75006.
Phone: +33 1 42 34 59 98