VirtualTourist.com will close on Feb 27th.

"Sophisticated Beggars" Shanghai Warnings Or Dangers Tip by crewrower

Shanghai Warnings and Dangers: 135 reviews and 85 photos

SOPHISTICATED BEGGARS

In Shanghai, and probably other large cities in China, there are folks who beg on the streets in a non-traditional way. Whether be an elderly couple who approach you, or a young girl, the story is usually the same: they need some money so they can get a meal. Sometimes they will tell you they are from out of town and need money for a bus back home. SCAM ALERT.

A girl approached me in this way tonight; calling out "hello" "hello" from behind me. Finally I turned around and asked what she wanted (I normally wouldn't, but from the way she was calling me I thought maybe I had dropped something). Then she went right in to asking whether I could take her somewhere nearby to get some food. This may also have been soliciation for sex.

Be careful - I gave a guy 40 yuan a couple years back to catch a bus back to his hometown. He swore he'd repay me, and gave me his home address, several contact telephone numbers, email address --- all of which were fake.

Be careful.

• Written Jul 15, 2006

Comments

crewrower Lives Here!

crewrower

“The Journey is the Reward”

Have you been to Shanghai?