"Doing It's Best But Still Scruffy!" Manofa Hotel Amsterdam Tip by johngayton

From Opposite
      From Opposite
      4th Floor Corridor
    by johngayton

This is a scruffy old hotel, but scruffy in a sort of well-worn way, rather than dirty. This hotel is firmly fixed in its 1* bracket despite its aspirations for higher things but for an overnight stay in the centre of the city in late June it fulfilled its function as a place to dump my bag before going out and then as a place to get my head down on returning in the very early hours.

This is definitely not the sort of hotel to book into for a romantic weekend, but it is cheapish and the rooms were pretty much as advertised - I think the hairdryer in the bathroom is their stab at 2* status!

My single room was tiny, as was the bed and the window and the wardrobe and the TV and the ashtray and..................Mind you having said that virtually every hotel I have stayed in here has had small rooms.

I probably wouldn't stay here again unless I really needed to be this central and couldn't get anywhere else, but don't let that put you off, I am getting a bit fussy about my hotels these days.

Unique Qualities: For centrality and easyness to find the location on Damrak, maybe 100 metres from Cetraal Station, is great. Reception was friendly and helpful.

Breakfast is served in the downstairs restaurant but I gave it a miss (what with not getting up until 11) but reports reckon its pretty naff.

One warning - the hotel is on 5 floors and there is no lift!

Address: Damrak 47
Price Comparison: about average
Directions: On the right coming up Damrak from Centraal, look out for the big red sign.
Phone: 31 20 6220990
Price: US$80-120
Theme: Hotel
Website: http://www.manofa-hotel.com

• Written Jul 10, 2006

“The slow lane often gets you there faster”

Have you been to Amsterdam?