"Storm King- Mount Storm King Trail" Top 5 Page for this destination Olympic National Park Things to Do Tip by goingsolo

Olympic National Park Things to Do: 183 reviews and 413 photos

Storm King Trail- Olympic National Park
      Olympic National Park
      Olympic National Park
    by goingsolo

The Storm King trail can be found along the Marymere Falls trail. Its a steep bit of a challenge as it ascends 2,000 feet in less than 2 miles. Basically, its a series of switchbacks all the way. Since I'm scheduled to hike Whitney later this summer, I figured it would be a good trial run. My hiking partner had no idea of any of this and didn't understand what 1,000 feet per mile is like, so he decided to come along.

After a grueling series of switchbacks, you'll find some impressive views of Lake Crescent. Continuing onward, the switchbacks become even steeper. For me, the best part of a hike like this is to be rewarded with a redbull and a poptart and a great view at the top. Fortunately, I had a Redbull and a Poptart in the overly loaded pack I took up this trail. Unfortunately for both of us, when we reached the last switchback, there was hardly a view at all. You could see Lake Crescent, but we'd done that already a dozen switchbacks before. There is also an expansive view of seemingly hundreds of acres of Douglas Firs. But, still, I felt cheated.

When you reach the end of the trail, there is a sign that says this is the end of the trail and that the path that lies beyond is steep and unmaintained. My hiking partner was overexerted and out of water and I didn't think it was a good idea to venture beyond this point. As we headed down, we passed a group of hikers who said that, beyond the trail sign there are fixed ropes which lead up the last portion of the mountain and that there is an incredible view from that point. Since I didn't know these people and we'd already begun to descend, we decided to skip it. But, if you decide to do this hike, you might want to look for the fixed ropes. Otherwise, you'll be pretty disappointed with the view you find at trail's end.

• Written Jul 8, 2006

Comments

goingsolo

“"Our battered suitcases were piled on the sidewalk again; we had longer ways to go. But no matter, the road is life."”

Have you been to Olympic National Park?