"Fontain del Mascherone has a twin in Spoletto" Top 5 Page for this destination Fontana del Mascherone Tip by icunme
Fontana del Mascherone, Rome: 2 reviews and 3 photos
Walking on Via Giulia toward the Tiber from Rome center just after we pass under the extraordinary vine covered bridge (another off the beaten path tip) built by the family Farnese, we find the Fontana del Mascherone (the Big Mask - do we wonder why it is so named?). Everyone agrees that this is one of the more bizaare monuments of Rome - and it does have a twin (not an identical twin - but a twin no less) in Spoletto (photo 2).
Another of the Farnese family gifts to Rome, no one seems to know who sculpted it - or at least no one in history cared to own up to the questionable artistry. It is said that the Farnese's had wine flowing from the fountain during their more notable soirees.
More Off The Beaten Path in Rome (56)
More Reviews (185)
- See All Sushi in Rome
- See All CARAVAGGIO Exhibit - Palazzo Venezia
- See All 3-star in 5-star location
- See All Biggest MALL in Rome - Parco Leonardo
- See All Low Cost Airport Transfer - USO Rome...
- See All Christmas Eve 7 Fish Traditional Dinner
- See All Should I rent a scooter to see Rome?
- See All Tram
- See All Bike and Hike along the Via Appia Antica
- See All JONATHAN'S ANGELS - not an angel seen...
- Villa Borghese overpriced and surley...
Been to Rome?Share your travels with the world!
icunme's Related Pages
Have you been to Rome?Share Your Travels