"Rigged Taxi Meters Part 2 of 2" Shanghai Transportation Tip by crewrower
Shanghai Transportation: 277 reviews and 350 photos
CONTINUED FROM ABOVE
6. as soon as you think you may be getting ripped off, quietly write down the driver's identification card number, including his name, the vehicle number, and the taxi company name. Do not let the driver know you are doing this until you are finished, otherwise he will take the card off his dash board and hide it from you. After you have secured the details, make it clear that you will report him.
7. If you think something is really wrong, do not pay the driver If he is cheating you, you are not obliged to pay him. In fact, if a taxi driver does not use his meter you are not obliged to pay anything - it says so in the "rules of carriage" posted in the back seat of all taxis.
Be careful not to confront the driver if you are in a part of town where it would be bad to be forced to get out of the taxi (e.g. on a highway where no other taxis would or could stop to pick you up). Otherwise you can force his hand by getting out - but be careful if your luggage is in the trunk, then he has the upper hand! I try to keep my luggage with me in the back seat if I suspect I may be getting into a dodgy vehicle.
Hope this helps.
More Transportation in Shanghai (3)
More Reviews (20)
- See All The Grill in Grand Hyatt Shanghai - pass
- See All Duty Free Shopping in Shanghai
- How to spend a layover in Shanghai
crewrower's Related Pages
Have you been to Shanghai?Share Your Travels