"Buying carpets in Azerbaijan" Azerbaijan Shopping Tip by patro_sg

Carpet shop in Baku

Carpet shop in Baku
      Inside the shop
    by patro_sg
      Me (in the blue) buying a carpet
      Looking at carpets
    by patro_sg
      Some other crafts for sale
    by patro_sg

This shop is right in the middle of the old city of Baku, but on a road that has traffic, just off the pedestrian-only area.

The building is hundreds of years old and perfectly suited for a carpet and antique shop.

What to buy: Carpets and other weavings.

Carpets older than 50 years are not allowed out of Azerbaijan. So when you buy a carpet, you'll need what's called a 'Carpet Passport'. This is a document which verifies that the carpet is of a certian age, origin, etc. It is assesed by a government body after you buy it (can take as little as 2-3 hours to do) and comes with a photo and the buyer's name and passport number.

What's good is this legal organization that asseses the carpets is not connected to the carpet shop so the carpet salesman can't tell you it's older/more expensive than it really is.

When you leave Azerbaijan you can then show this document to the customs officials and they will let the carpet out.

This costs US $50 but should be paid for by the carpet shop.

The shop asked me to pay for my carpet and told me they would have the passport made. I was with an Azeri whom I trusted that knew the shop owner - otherwise I would not have left my money there without taking the carpet. But you can trust this shop!

What to pay: US $200-$20,000. You might be able to bargain. I bargained by about 30% and got it for that price.

Address: Old city