Irazu: "Only Costa Rican Restaurant in Chicago" Top 5 Page for this destination Irazu Tip by deecat

Irazu, Chicago: 2 reviews and 6 photos

Martin, Marie, Steve, Charles, Kristi

Martin, Marie, Steve, Charles, Kristi
      Costa Rican Dish
    by deecat
      Steve preparing to take a photo
      Miss Jane's Consignment Shop 1/2 block from Irazu
    by deecat

Saturday, June 24, 2006, I spent a lovely afternoon eating and conversing with VT friends at the only Costa Rican Restaurant in Chicago, Irazu on Milwaukee Avenue.

Martin(MJB123) organized this 2:00 p.m. lunch and selected the best of days...(bright sunshine and pleasant temperature). We ate outdoors and enjoyed the Costa Rican food, especially their special milk shakes (not made with ice cream, but with milk and unusual ingredients.) Most of us tried the Oat Meal Milk Shake, which, by the way, was delicious.

I tried a special burrito with mostly vegetables and (asked I requested) a small amount of chicken. I could only eat half of it because it was so large. Kristi had some special sandwich; Marie had a Costa Rican salad; the three guys had Costa Rican speciality with lots of meat, an egg, and several other ingredients that I paid no attention to. They all seemed to enjoy it; Steve even took his uneaten portion home.

Eating outdoors was really delightful. It was quite easy to hear each other; to enjoy the incredible weather, and to view the people as they passed by.

I got to the address for the restaurant early; thus, I decided to check out the area. I found a brand new shop called Miss Jane 2 doors down from the restaurant. It's an upscale consignment shop so I went in to check it out. (1877 N. Milwaukee Ave., Chicago, IL 60647) It's closed Sunday and Monday. Phone (778) 997-8687) By the way, I purchased two pairs of slacks for my size 0-2 friend, Marilyn.
j

Favorite Dish: Many of us tried the delicious Oatmeal Shakes, which Irazu is famous for. I wish that I knew what (besides milk and oatmeal) that they use to make this unusual "treat" taste so good. I agree with so many others who have reviewed this particular milkshake over the years: it's a taste of heaven"!

For sure, Irazu is all about the food. It's fabulous, inexpensive, and the service (though slow) is thorough and friendly.

Address: 1865 North Milwaukee Avenue, Chicago, IL 60647
Price Comparison: less expensive than average
Phone: (773)252-5687
Price: US$11-20
Rating: 4
Theme: Other
Website: http://www.irazuchicago.com/

• Updated Jul 2, 2006

Comments

deecat Lives Here!

deecat

Have you been to Chicago?