Mediterranean Cafe: "One of My Favorite Dishes of All Time" Top 5 Page for this destination Albuquerque Restaurant Tip by AlbuqRay

Albuquerque Restaurants: 154 reviews and 232 photos

Tagine of Lamb with Honey (Mussaka above)
by AlbuqRay
      Tagine of Lamb with Honey (Mussaka above)
      Bijan by the Fireplace
      Don't Judge This Restaurant by the Outside
    by AlbuqRay

In Dec 08 I was driving down San Mateo and noticed that the Mediterranean Cafe was out of business. It was a restaurant specializing in Moroccan, Greek and Persian food. Bijan was the owner/host. Not only was the food delicious, there was also entertainment every night including different kinds of music from Flamenco guitarists, Middle East oud players and pianists to belly dancers. It was located in a small house and there was not much room. Their motto was "we put our heart into our food and we serve our food with love." The main entrees were a bit pricey for lunch but reasonable for dinner. Take a look at Gil's review too. I'll keep this tip to remember a fine restaurant that was just a little too different for most Albuquerque tastes.

Favorite Dish: The Tagine of Lamb with Honey ($14.99) was one of my favorite dishes ever. I like tastes that are both sweet and tangy at the same time. This tagine had two such tastes, apricots and prunes. The lamb was tender and marinated in herbs and olive oil. It was then cooked with apricots, prunes, whole almonds and honey into a tangy, sweet stew. It was served with a Greek salad, saffron rice and cooked vegetables. Their Mussaka ($11.99) was also excellent; however, the King's Bastilla ($14.99), although good, was a little too sweet for me.

Address: 513 San Mateo NE, Albuquerque, NM
Price Comparison: more expensive than average
Directions: 1.5 blocks north of Copper on the west side of San Mateo
Price: US$11-20
Rating: 4
Theme: Middle Eastern

• Updated Feb 14, 2009

AlbuqRay Lives Here!

“Karma with free will: we earn our destiny by choosing among countably infinite eigenstates”

Have you been to Albuquerque?