"Durham - Jewel of the North East" Top 5 Page for this destination England Things to Do Tip by sourbugger

England Things to Do: 566 reviews and 888 photos

Sourbugger spent three years here at university, whilst some exploits will have to remain secret (mainly because they might break the official Secrets Act) other slightly less savoury aspects of my murky past may see the light of day on the Durham pages.

Durham is England third University after Oxford and Cambridge and was founded in 1832.

I know this because of a conversation that I had with an academic tutor whilst at college. It went something like this

TUTOR ; "You know, you are the worst Greek student we have had in this university since 1832"

SB : "Why ? what happened then ?"

TUTOR : "The University was founded"

(still got my Desmond however - a 2:2)

If you are planning a trip to Scotland from london, then Durham makes a great stopover for a day. In the words of Bill Bryson :

"If you have never been to Durham, go at once. Take my car. It's wonderful."
( Notes from a Small Island (1995), pp 234-35.)

It can be argued that few places in the world can match the City of Durham, with its dramatic setting on a horseshoe bend in the River Wear. The great Norman Cathedral and nearby Castle - which is part of the University - form a World Heritage site, recognised by UNESCO as one of the most exceptional historic and architectural features of the planet.

Again in the words of Bill Bryson :

"I unhesitatingly gave Durham my vote for best cathedral on planet Earth."
(Notes from a Small Island (1995), p 235)

• Written Jun 28, 2006

Comments

sourbugger Visits Here Frequently!

sourbugger

“Deny yourself nothing, but deny everything.”

Have you been to England?