"Piazza Navona - Fountains abound" Top 5 Page for this destination Piazza Navona Tip by icunme
Piazza Navona, Rome: 172 reviews and 295 photos
The fountain designed by Gian Lorenzo Bernini is surmounted by a Roman obelisk topped by the papal dove, crest of Pope .
Bernini's scholars assisted in the execution of the central fountain of the rivers (Photo 2) Ganges, Nile, Danube and Rio de la Plata which represented (at that time) the four corners of the earth (apologies to the Aussies). The Bernini-Borromini rivalry is notorious and it has been said that explains the hand of Rio de la Plata, scared that the church built by Borromini might fall on him, and the Nile covering his head in order not to see the church of the rival. These gestures could also be interpreted as a symbol of mankind, scared and ignorant. The fountain, in fact, was designed and completed before Borromini received the commission for the Church of Santa Agnese.
Always crowded by tourists during the day and a center of night life, Piazza Navona was embellished at the end of XIXth century by the addition of the third fountain on the north side.
Bernini redesigned a previous basin by Giacomo della Porta adding the central statue "il Moro" (the Moor), which he personally sculpted (photo 3).
Address: Piazza Navona
Directions: Rome Center
More Reviews (181)
- See All Orto Botanico - Garden Oasis for nature...
- See All Sushi in Rome
- See All 3-star in 5-star location
- See All Biggest MALL in Rome - Parco Leonardo
- See All Low Cost Airport Transfer - USO Rome...
- See All Christmas Eve 7 Fish Traditional Dinner
- See All Should I rent a scooter to see Rome?
- See All Tram
- See All Bike and Hike along the Via Appia Antica
- See All JONATHAN'S ANGELS - not an angel seen...
- Villa Borghese overpriced and surley...
Been to Rome?Share your travels with the world!
icunme's Related Pages
Have you been to Rome?Share Your Travels