"Louages at night" Tunisia Warnings Or Dangers Tip by arizonastar

Tunisia Warnings and Dangers: 121 reviews and 59 photos

On June 18th me and some friends wanted to return from our twoday trip through Tunisia. At 9PM we were in Gabes at the louage (long distanace taxi) station. The ticket office was closed, but as usual we were approached by about 6 men wanting to make us a 'special deal'.
We wanted to go to Sousse and an older, small man got behind the wheel and started driving. Everything seemed okay in the beginning, but once we got out side of the city, he turned into what I can only call a psychopath. He raced 140 where 70 was the speed limit. In every road curve, he pressed the gaspedal. It was clear he did not have the mission to bring us safely to Sousse. It was his mission to get to Sousse as quickly as possible and receive his money. Twice all of us screamed our lungs out when we almost hit the car on the other side of the road, because he was trying to fix the radio while driving. He passed cars at least once every three minutes on two-way streets.
We forced him to stop and in very poor France I told him all of us were scared to death. After this he started driving slower, but the consequence seemed to be him falling asleep. We saw him closing his eyes and his head falling forward a couple of times and the only thing left to do was to keep talking to him for 4 hours, though the others could not speak French, and I could hardly speak French. Everytime we stopped 'talking' to him, he would fall asleep after two minutes.
All of us were sure we were going to die that evening (and believe me, I am not a slow driver myself at all, and not scared of fast driving quickly).
I am still grateful every day since, that my spouse and I am still alive.
This man would do anything to earn a little money to get around. Even if he would risk his life for it, and ours.

Never take a louage at night. Though these drivers would take advantage of you in any way just to get a little money, during the day their driving is quite okay (though you should ALWAYS ask to see the tariff list and never let anyone make you a 'special deal').

• Written Jun 21, 2006

Ranked Member

Have you been to Tunisia?