157 Cafe and Bar: "It's Maine and so it's Lobster!" Portland Restaurant Tip by johngayton

Portland Restaurants: 76 reviews and 57 photos

Simplicity Personified!
by johngayton

This is the restaurant in the lobby at The Eastland Park Hotel. At the time of my visit it was called Adele's.

UPDATE 2007 - Checking facts on thier website this seems to have been revamped into the 157 Cafe and Bar. The menu however seems to be pretty much the same and of course has several variations on the lobster theme.

It may have changed but here's my experience:

It was a quiet Sunday. I was more than happy to eat at the bar with a couple of other residents - no point in sitting in an empty dining room. The couple of other residents were a self-made golfer guy and a pair of suitably attractive ladies. My accent impressed the ladies. The golfer guy asked me which courses I'd played.

"The New, the Eden, the Jubilee and obviously the Old Course." I replied.

"You're full of sh-eye-t!"

"Nah I know that I need at least 12 balls just to get round the course. If they don't end up in the sea, they'll be out of bounds on the landside."

"What's your handicap?"

"36 and my mates will give me an extra shot if I'm struggling."

This guy seemed to be a serious golfer and so I told him about "The Road" ( out of bounds). I told him about the inshore rules when your ball was in the sea. HA! His lady friends seemed to find me amusing.

So I just walked him through the course, hole by hole. He ended up bug-eyed. "You're full of sh-eye-t!"

Well, having now been told twice that I'm "Full of ..." I reckoned I had to respond - "You're the first Republican I've met in my 3 months in the US and you fit!".

The spectularly-bodied brunettte laughed. I winked. The barman grinned diplomatically. I picked up the tab for all four of us and added a decent tip. Mr Golfer was on the phone to his Mafia mates - it seems my life was only worth $10,000.

Favorite Dish: Well it has to be the lobster, and I didn't see the point in having it anything but plain boiled and served with pulled butter. This was absolutely spot on, nothing clever, just perfectly cooked, meaty, flavoursome and tender lobster with a set of claw crackers, a lobster pick and copious napkins (that'll be serviettes in yankspeak). Drooling still with the memory!!

And if memory serves me correctly the 1 and 1/2 lb lobster was less than $20 - a bargain to boot!!

Address: Eastland Park Hotel, 157 High Street.
Comparison: less expensive than average
Directions: Just off the hotel lobby (the hotel being in the heart of Downtown just off Congress Square)
Phone: 207 775 5411
Price: US$11-20
Rating: 5
Theme: American
Website: http://www.eastlandparkhotel.com

• Updated Dec 6, 2009

Comments

johngayton

“The slow lane often gets you there faster”

Have you been to Portland?