Intermission Tavern: "Dinner with Beee and Vargas" Intermission Tavern Tip by johngayton

Intermission Tavern, Boston: 1 reviews and 2 photos

Meatloaf and Beer :)
      Meatloaf and Beer :)
      Beee and Vargas
    by johngayton

After a very pleasant lunch in Columbus Park, Renee and Laura are off to get their hair done (more girly conversation!!) and Beee and I decide to hang out for the afternoon - we pop out to Back Bay where the magnolia trees are in full bloom and end up in a pleasant Irish-themed bar whose name now escapes me. Beee has to go back into town to search out a bed at Macey?s but not before a couple of beers serve their purpose of rehydrating the system. OK, by now I have done pretty much all the girly stuff possible - knitting, hair-does and shopping and so as a little blokie aside - Macey?s is all right, great lingerie department!!!

After Macey?s a wander down Tremont Street through the Theatre District with the pre-theatre crowds milling and filling the local bars and restaurants we head for a well-known brew-pub but this a bit too commercial/chic/busy for our tastes. However both of us had independently taken note of an attractive looking pub which we had not long passed. Quick backtrack and here we are at the bar in Intermission just as the theatre folks are making their moves to head off for their shows (both performers and audience) and we are instantly comfortable.

This is a really good bar, decent selection of beers, laid back atmosphere and an excellent but not overpriced menu. Boston civility and hospitality are the order of the day and dinner is definitely to be done.

Favorite Dish: Meatloaf for me, served with mash, asparagus and a tasty sauce, steak with mushroom sauce for Beee, arrive simply and elegantly presented, without the fussiness that so many places think makes the food more attractive - this is WYSIWYG and absolutely delicious it is too and with a main course price about the $15 mark Intermission hits all the relevant spots. This is totally faultless: with an intelligent, pretty and fun dining companion, friendly service, excellent beer and superb food I am in my element - this is how to live the traveling life!

Address: 228 Tremont St
Price Comparison: less expensive than average
Directions: In the heart of the theatre district opposite The Majestic.

Good website BTW

Phone: 617 451 5997
Price: US$11-20
Rating: 5
Theme: American

• Updated Jun 19, 2006

More Restaurants in Boston (1)

“The slow lane often gets you there faster”

Have you been to Boston?